Sunday, September 27, 2009

A weekend trip to Boston, via cake

I received an email from my friend -- "I need a cake for my mom's bday. She likes lighthouses, and pretty much any flavor." 


What an ideal scenario, I got to make a cake I've been wanting to try out and play around with fun seaside themed decorations.


Ever since I tasted Tracy's cookies and cream cake, I've been craving another. I am completely obsessed with the Thomas Keller oreo, so I used his recipe to make the cookies, then crumbled them into an Italian buttercream. Combined with a devil's food cake, this was heaven on a plate for an oreo lover.



Fondant seaside themed decor


The top of the cake...I used flower candy molds to make some of the shells, and just twisted some fondant for the others. 


Front view


Side view


Back view


Inside shot -- YUM!


Cake carnage

No comments:

Post a Comment