Monday, September 14, 2009

Deep Frying Can Be Classy

Donuts -- one of my favorite foods of all time. I was beyond excited when our teacher told us we would have a deep frying class. With the exception of a few gourmet donut shops that are popping up these days, donuts tend to be cheap. This always led me to believe they must be easy to make. And while I won't go so far as to say they are highly difficult, I will say that the entire process is longer and a bit more a pain in the ass than I expected. 


The yeast donuts have to proof before they are fried and the deep frying itself is kind of an ordeal...it's uncomfortably hot to stand around a hot pot of oil! I think I'll stick to the eating side of the donut business for now. 


Deep frying in action


Oversize churros gone crazy


Churros with a Mexican chocolate dipping sauce


A variety of donut holes


Cherry almond fritters with port sauce


Vanilla beignets with Bourbon caramel sauce


Ginger donuts and espresso


Maple walnut sour cream donut and fresh squeezed grapefruit orange juice


Maple walnut sour cream donut


Ginger donuts

No comments:

Post a Comment