Saturday, May 2, 2009

April 27, 2009 - Confections



Candy!!! Who doesn't love candy? There is a candy out there for everyone, even those who claim they don't have a sweet tooth. I've never made candy before, so I didn't know quite what to expect. We had the choice to make one (hopefully more, time permitting) of the following: marshmallows, butterscotch caramels, candied orange peel, almond pistachio nougat, victorian toffee, bittersweet chocolate truffles, hazelnut truffles, almond dragees, pistachio brittle, or pates de fruits (fruit jellies).


In high school, I worked in a candy store one summer, and the chocolate covered orange peels were one of my favorite discoveries. Sure, everyone loves toffee and brittle, but a lot of people don't even know you can eat orange peel, let alone know just how delicious it is. For this reason, I chose the candied orange peel. Had I read through the entire recipe first, I probably would have made a different decision, but by the time I realized what a process it is, I was already committed.


I had to halve and juice 5 lbs of oranges, then boil and drain them THREE times. I ended up with quite a bit of delicious fresh squeezed orange juice, which provided the perfect recharge for all the hard workers in the back kitchen. Then I had to scrape out the membranes and cut the peels into strips. The next step involves simmering the strips in sugar syrup for 3 hours. Half the class time had already passed, so I had to pack up my peels and save the simmering for Wednesday.


I still had an hour left, so I decided to give the marshmallows a try. I don't particularly love, or even like marshmallows, but I've been interested in making them since I saw a special on home made marshmallows on the Food Network. The recipe includes two ingredients I had never worked with before: gelatin sheets and glucose. The gelatin sheets are pretty fun....they are clear thin plastic looking sheets that turn the consistency of seaweed when you place them in cold water. The glucose on the other hand, is just a gross sticky mess. I've never worked with anything so sticky, not even glue! The marshmallow mixture is poured onto a sheet plan, dusted with a powdered sugar/ cornstarch mixture, and then left to set.


Once set, you can cut the marshmallows into squares or fun shapes. We didn't have a ton of cookie cutters, so I made a cute little Valentine's marshmallow platter. This would be a fun recipe to make during the holidays, then use Christmas cookie cutters and give as gifts with a homemade hot cocoa mix in a jar (note to self: remember this!).

Our lovely teacher Christa brought each of us candy boxes so we could pack up some of these heavenly delights. As much as I wanted to be selfish, my tight pants told me that sharing might be a good idea, so I ended up as Ms. Popularity as work the next day.


With today being a rainy (May...WTH San Francisco!?) Saturday, I'll share the candied orange peel recipe, in case anyone is looking for a long indoor activity...


The Delicious Recipe of the Day: Candied Orange Peels
(Sunset Magazine, December 2007)
  • 5 pounds oranges
  • 8 cups sugar, divided
Halve and juice fruit; reserve juice for another use. Put peels in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Drain. Return peels to pot, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, cook 3 minutes, and drain. Repeat once more.

Spread peels on baking sheet and let sit until cool enough to handle, 20 minutes.

Using a spoon, scrape out the membranes and discard. Cut peels into strips and set aside.

In a large, heavy pot over high heat, bring cups of water and 6 cups sugar to a boil. Add peels, reduce heat to maintain a steady, gentle simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until peels are render, sweet and translucent, 3 hours. (Don't let sugar brown or caramelize).

Drain peels and spread on wire racks set over baking sheets. Let sit until dry, at least 8 hours.

Toss a handful of peels with remaining two cups sugar. Shake off excess sugar and put in an airtight containere. Repeat with remaining peels.

No comments:

Post a Comment